Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
* The Wound, Ostomy, Continence (WOC) Nurses provide research based, best-practice care to adult patients in the hospital and outpatient clinic settings. We are a tertiary care provider receiving patients from a 200+ mile radius. We provide specialized care for a very large ostomy patient population that includes 10-15 new ostomy surgery patients per week. We provide outpatient services in our Ostomy Clinic (Mon-Fri) for pre and postoperative teaching and ostomy related problems both physical and emotional. We play an integral role in the prevention and treatment of pressure injuries (ulcers) and also provide topical management recommendations for other types of skin integrity issues including skin tears, lower extremity wounds, and moisture associated skin damage. We precept WOCN students from certified programs as well as from local nursing schools and provide formal and informal educational in-services to unit staff, orientation groups, and others. While each WOC Nurse functions autonomously, we are very team focused not only in our department but in coordination and collaboration with the multidisciplinary team. We are well respected by other health team members and are considered experts in our field.
* Apply the nursing process to plan, implement, document, and evaluate the care of patients including patient and family education and the continuum of care planning. Effectively communicate with the patient/family and the health care team to ensure effective outcomes
* Provide high level, evidence-based direct care as a WOCN in the assessment and management of a range of conditions involving the integumentary, gastrointestinal and genitourinary systems including but not limited to acute and chronic wounds, pressure injuries, ostomies, fistulas, tubes, and moisture associated skin damage
* Collaborate discharge planning needs with the multidisciplinary team
* Recommend appropriate wound dressings and performs conservative sharp wound debridement as indicated.
* Provide direct care and patient and staff education related to the prevention of skin breakdown.
* Collaborate with other departments to provide staff education, best practice guidelines, and product selection in alignment with VUMC pillar goals.
* Collect data for necessary reports and records. Participate in research and clinical studies. Participate in development /review of practice protocols and guidelines.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
* Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
* Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
* The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
* National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
* Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
* Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
* American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
* Certification in Wound, Ostomy, Continence Nursing
* 2 years of RN experience
* BLS certification
* 1 year experience as a WOCN
* Days (8 am - 4:30 pm)
Internal Number: 1906833
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.