DMC Harper University Hospital has distinguished itself in surgery and medicine and is known for its clinical expertise and innovative research. A specialty referral hospital, Harper has established Centers of Excellence in neurosciences, bariatric surgery, vascular services, multidisciplinary cardiovascular services, hypertension, stroke prevention and heart failure.
Under general supervision, serves as the clinical resource and consultant for the acute and rehabilitative care of patients with selected disorders of the gastrointestinal, genitourinary, and integument systems (e.g. complex draining wounds, ostomies, lower extremity ulcers, fistulae, dermal ulcers, tubes, and continence disorders). The WOCN nurse should be prepared to provide the full scope of the WOC nursing practice including education, counseling, research, and administration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Serves as primary patient educator of all patients undergoing ostomy surgery.
a. Assesses patients perioperatively to devise a plan of care for the promotion of physical, physiological, and social adaptation.
b. When possible, determines the appropriate site for stoma placement preoperatively.
c. Educates and counsels the patient and family members peri-operatively in ostomy care management and in collaboration with the Clinical Resource Management team contributes to the discharge plan of care.
d. Provides ostomy patients with treatment and/ or options with issues related to ostomy care management.
2.Assess select ostomy patients returning to the hospital in regards to: at home of ostomy, knowledge level regarding ostomy care and problems in ostomy management or psychosocial rehabilitation.
3. With full autonomy, provides consultation, treatment options, and direct assistance to nursing staff and other ancillary departments in the management of ostomies, dermal ulcers, wounds, fistulas, lower extremity ulcers, and skin problems related to fecal and urinary incontinence.
4. Provides ongoing education for staff maintaining current knowledge and competence in areas of ostomy care, and wound and skin management.
5. Participates in interdisciplinary rounds, committees/meetings that promote high quality and cost-effective care to patients.
6. Assists and participates in nursing education activities as needed.
7. Participates in data collection and analysis for research activities involving wounds, ostomies, and incontinence.
8. Collects data on pressure ulcers, completes quarterly analysis of wound care problems, recommends changes when necessary and monitors patient outcomes.
9. Participates in the development and implementation of procedures and protocols based on best available scientific evidence related to the care of:
a. Patients with bladder and bowel disorders resulting in the need for an ostomy.
b. Patients having impaired or altered skin integrity.
c. Patients with condition requiring incontinence management and containment.
10. Recommends standards for selection of cost-effective supplies and equipment for wound, ostomy, and continence disorders based on best scientific evidence, product evaluations, and cost-effectiveness comparisons.
11. Collaborates with Advanced Practice Nurses regarding all aspects of wound care and wound care delivery services.
1. Bachelors Degree in Nursing.
2. Graduate of an accredited Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurse Education Program.
3. Certification as a WOCN.
4. Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the state of Michigan.
5. At least 3-5 years related clinical experience.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
About DMC Harper University/Hutzel Women's Hospital
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.