Location: St. John's Hospital, Minnesota
Advanced Practice Registered Nurses / Physician Assistants
Internal Number: R0019139
University of Minnesota Physicians (M Physicians) is a non-profit organization seeking driven individuals in both clinical and non-clinical areas to help transform health and medicine. Headquartered in Minneapolis, our organization employs more than 1,200 physicians, 300 advanced practice providers and 2,200 health professionals and staff throughout Minnesota and beyond.
Join us on a mission to advance medicine.
University of Minnesota Physicians seeks a Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner who will provide care and assist in surgery for patients on the Cardiothoracic Surgery Team at M Health Fairview University of Minnesota Medical Center and M Health Fairview St. John's Hospital in Maplewood.
We are looking for motivated applicants with a history of leadership, interest in process improvement, and emphasis on teamwork.
In this Role you will:
- Care includes covering inpatient floor work and OR first assisting.
- Provide care to patients with cardiac conditions, ranging from the routine to the complex (such as end-stage heart failure and transplant). Our specialists provide comprehensive surgical expertise. Valve repair for aortic and mitral valve pathology is commonly performed, employing innovative techniques of leaflet excision, chordal replacement, annuloplasty, and valve resuspension. In addition to harvesting saphenous vein for coronary artery bypasses.
- Provide and coordinate surgical care for adults with selected cardiothoracic diseases throughout the course of evaluation and treatment, including hospital admission, surgical intervention, inpatient care, consultations, and discharge planning. This includes clinic follow-up, providing information to referring physicians and institutions, and patient /family education.
- Provide and coordinate continuity of care between the hospital floor setting, operating room, and clinic. This individual must show commitment to exemplary patient care.
- Share responsibility for assessment and management of patient in cardiothoracic surgical services. Write admission and daily notes, order and direct discharge planning and follow up.
- Work to improve the quality of care and to decrease length of stay on the inpatient service. Obtain patient histories, perform physical and psychological health assessments, provide patient and family education and counseling, ensure continuity of health care services.
- Provide direct management of postoperative care in the clinical settings of the ICU, step-down units, and wards including removing chest tubes, drains and temporary pacemaker wires.
- Full time 1. FTE
- Monday thru Friday, daytime schedule with occasional evening, weekend, and holiday work.
- Rotating surgical evening OR call, weekends, and holidays
- Additional rounding at Southdale, HCMC, or St Johns as daily needs dictate.
We're Looking For a PA or NP Who Is:
- A graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant or formal Adult Nurse Practitioner training program. Note, NP applicants much have first assist training.
- Eligible or is certified through NCCPA, ANCC or AANP.
- Licensed or eligible to obtain a license through the MN Board of Medical Practice (PAs) or MN APRN license with prescriptive authority through the MN Board of Nursing (PNPs).
- Able to meet threshold criteria/qualifications for credentialing and privileges.
What Could Set You Apart?
- The successful candidate will have experience assisting with cardiac surgery or is OR trained and/or experience.
- Previous ICU, Cardiothoracic Surgery or Cardiology experience is preferred.
- Have a willingness and interest to learn and work in ICU settings.
M Health Fairview and Clinical Partnerships:
University of Minnesota Physicians providers practice at affiliated locations under the University of Minnesota Health Fairview (M Health Fairview) shared care delivery system. M Health Fairview represents a collaboration between University of Minnesota Physicians, University of Minnesota Medical Center and Fairview Health Services to create a nationally renowned academic health system that combines academic and community resources to provide the very best clinical care to patients and communities, while also supporting research and education across the joint healthcare delivery system. #APP
University of Minnesota Physicians is based in the beautiful Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area, ranked as the #6 best place to live in America by U.S. News & World Report in 2019. For more information about the vibrant culture, community, and recreation that Minneapolis-St. Paul has to offer, please click on the links below.
Greater Minneapolis - St. Paul Metropolitan Area
U.S. News & World Report Ranking
Minnesota Department of Education
Equal Employment Opportunity
We welcome diversity in every area, from patient populations to our own physicians, and pride ourselves on being thoroughly inclusive. We gladly provide equal employment opportunities and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
M Physicians offers competitive salary and excellent benefits and provides you with the opportunity to enhance your career in the exciting field of health care through rewarding and challenging assignments and the opportunities for advancement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.