Location: Springfield, Illinois
The Registered Nurse - Drive-Up Lab is responsible for coordinating operations of the drive-up labs, including providing COVID testing and flu vaccinations. The RN will work closely with the other Springfield Clinic departments, including Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC), Lab, TeleNurse, etc. to ensure timely and accurate testing is obtained, documented, and communicated for smooth operations.
Reports to the Clinical Operations Manager - Drive-Up Lab
- Swab up to 175 ASC COVID patients per day plus backing up any additional swabs for other departments with lab staff.
- Filter ASC positives from all other Labcorp results. Must have working knowledge of ASC/SIU/PULM/SLEEP/DERM/FP/UC providers to differentiate others in a timely manner.
- Answer patient and office staff questions with knowledge of the current SC, CDC and IDPH guidelines by phone or in person.
- Call patients who were added to the ASC schedule within six and three days to arrive for COVID testing if TeleNurse requires assistance.
- Assist with proper flow of all drive up patients with respect to reason for visit.
- Respond to and facilitate TW ASC tasks multiple times daily.
- Compile spreadsheet and TeleNurse information to track no-shows for testing, attempt to contact patients for testing, and follow up on ASC cancellations.
- Track external lab testing, obtain appropriately documented results, and enter into TW.
- Ability to enter order and swab urgent ASC patients that were added to the schedule.
- Maintain inventory of and make 800 LabCorp swabbing kits per week.
- Ability to assist remotely with processes and facilitate alternative testing, orders, banners and notes when ASC COVID results are not received in a timely manner, so that the ASC remains operational the following day with zero interruption.
- Document results on spreadsheet appropriately per COVID team protocols.
- Forward and follow ASC Positive patient algorithm (notify and follow up with TeleNurse, notify ASC Cancellation Team).
- Note, banner and alert SIU, Dermatology and Pulm of COVID positive patients.
- Ability to accept change and new direction multiple times a week.
- Interest in the process of maintaining the integrity of ASC COVID testing.
- Enter COVID orders for patients who arrive without them.
- Modify COVID orders for patients that are entered incorrectly.
- Administer flu shots based on age and health criteria.
- Accurately schedule, chart, and charge for flu vaccine administration.
- Maintain appropriate supplies of various flu shot doses based on anticipated volumes.
- Comply with the Springfield Clinic incident reporting policy and procedures.
- Adhere to all OSHA and Springfield Clinic training & accomplishments as required per policy.
- Provide excellent customer service and adhere to Springfield Clinic's Code of Conduct and Ethics Standards.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- Educated as registered nurse by attaining an ADN, diploma or B.S.N.
- Previous experience as a RN required.
- Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois.
- Current CPR certification per American Heart Association guidelines.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Practices independent nursing consistent with the Illinois Nurse Practice Act.
- Assumes accountability and responsibility for own practice and that, which is delegated.
- Ability to serve on appropriate committees.
- Sitting vs. standing averages to 50-50%.
- Minimal lifting requirements.